Sunday, February 13, 2011

Tequila

The old man in front of me was buying a bottle of tequila. The bottle was plastic and the man looked about 80 years old. He shuffled. I guess when you are that old it takes too much effort to lift your limbs. Fat people shuffle, maybe it's because it's too laboring to move in full motion. The old man had a very smooth looking face, there were wrinkles, but they didn't move. He had the same facial expression, he mumbled and didn't acknowledge anyone, not the cashier, not me, just paid attention to the change he got from his 20 dollar bill.

His face looked like a topographical map. His eyes reminded me of stones you see when you look into a river bed. Dark and glossy. I wish I would have said hello or something. 

I paid for my groceries. I forgot my recyclable bag again and I don't like using plastic bags, so I held everything in my arms. When the cashier gave me my change a dime fell. I pretended not to notice. There was a baby in a stroller who kept screaming about the dime. I pretended not to hear her, than the mother said, "Excuse me, but I think you dropped your dime." I had my arms full, if I bent down I could potentially drop everything. The woman just stood there looking at me, the cashier picked up my dime and handed it to me, I said thank you and left the store quickly. I hate disrupting the natural flow of the grocery line process. 

I hate the grocery store, but I got to see that topographical map of an old man, so I guess it was worth it. 

1 comment:

Total Pageviews